X of Calgary: Cyclists Rolling On

A questionnaire posed to past Calgary cyclists.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Ryan McKenzie


Name: Ryan McKenzie

UCI Code: CAN19830531

Hometown: Calgary Alberta

First Alberta cycling club: Olympic Oval Cycling Club (NCTDC)

Current Residence: KIMBERLEY, BC

How did you get into cycling?
DAN PROULX. He was, at one point, my swim coach and then joined his triathlon club and was then introduced to cycling.

What was the first race you remember doing?
The first race I ever remember doing was a crit through Eau Claire in Calgary. I was wearing some black cycling shorts and a red t-shirt and was lapped so many times.

Where was the most memorable race you ever did and why?
It would have to be the tour of Qinghai Lake in western China on the Tibetan plateau. 10 days 1400km at 10,000ft. UCI HC

Where was the worst race you ever did? What was it like?
The road race at Bikes on Broadway. I can't believe I would drive 7 hours to Saskatoon to then drive two more out of town the next day for the road race which was in the middle of no where with howling crosswinds. My brain blew up before my legs. The crit was awesome however.

Who was your funniest teammate and why?
Martin Gilbert was a psycho. I still probably still quote him daily.
What, you don't like double cheeze? (in a french accent)

What was the greatest adversity you had to overcome in your racing career?
The Canadian Cycling Association. Nice people personally but function dysfunctionally as an association.

What do you remember most about racing in Alberta?
The backyard barbeque atmosphere.


How have you changed as a cyclist?
From when I first started I am now:
More patient
More aggressive
More bitter
Faster
poorer

Who are you racing for now?
Jesus

Any advice for young racers?
Don't fight the winter.

What are your goals for the future?
Do get paid to do only what I want to do.
Goal #1 Figure out what I want to do.

When—if ever—will you retire from racing?
I'll never retire from racing in general. I'm too competitive. But as far as high level bike racing. I quit. I am sorry I have to say it like this but I have an issue with all these riders who show up on bike news sites and forums stating their retirement. Lance Armstrong can retire, Wayne Gretzky can retire, Tiger Woods can retire. If you raced as a espoir and won a few races you just quit. Retirement says...hey I was here and I did something really special; things are different now because of my legacy. That's when you can 'retire' from something. All others just stopped, moved on, tried something different. I would just feel like Zoolander if I were to use the 'R' Word. " Excuse me People, I would like to announce my retirement from male modeling."

1 Comments:

Blogger Cyrus said...

Yay! Most awesome interview. I can hear his Quebecois impression in my head right now.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home