X of Calgary: Cyclists Rolling On

A questionnaire posed to past Calgary cyclists.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Travis Smith


Name: Travis Smith

UCI Code: 19800211

Hometown: Calgary, Alberta

First Alberta cycling club: Tri-Athletics/Olympic oval

Current Residence: Long Beach, CA USA

How did you get into cycling?
I switched from triathlon when I was 17.. I was riding quite a-bit while training for tri's but I could never seem to get that 3rd leg down! I hated running!! so it was all about bike from then on.

What was the first race you remember doing?
1997 canadian Track Nationals.. in Calgary. I remember being asked a couple days before if I wanted to try a track bike and enter the nationals the following weekend.

Where was the most memorable race you ever did and why?
2006 Commonwealth Games.. I think with the amount of press and fans that are associated with the games.. when I came home with two medals I was very excited!

Where was the worst race you ever did? What was it like?
Well in the past two years I have had nothing but bad races!! but the one that caused the past rough races was the 2007 world championships in Palma de Mallorca, Spain. I crashed quite badly and fractured my pelvic joint into many pieces! This crashed required two operations plates screws and about a total of one year off the bike recovering and another year on the bike riding everyday, every pedal stroke in pain! But I can finally say now that I ride with NO pain in my pelvis! finally!!!

Who was your funniest teammate and why?
Martin Gilbert... I dont know why.. but everywhere we go and everything we do.. he cracks me up!

What was the greatest adversity you had to overcome in your racing career? Obviously the 2007 crash and surgeries! not only is it physically tough... it is 99% tougher mentally. I know I could not go through that again.

What do you remember most about racing in Alberta and how have you changed as a cyclist?
I remember shoveling the track in may so we could race that weekend! BRRRRR.. were we crazy.
I cant say that I have changed that much as a cyclist.. the biggest difference is that now I'm the one young kids are looking up too, so I try and set a good example like my idols in the cycling world did for me. (Jim Fisher).

Who are you racing for now?
This year I ride on Hawk Relay Cycling team.
www.hawkrelaycycling.com
Its a professional Track team based out of California, USA. I have great teammates great staff and great coaches.

Any advice for young racers?
Yea. Everything in this sport takes time.. Keep your goals in sight and you will achieve them. One thing that I have learned in this sport on and off the bike! PATIENCE goes along way.. if you panic and rush your race mistakes happen! things have a way of unfolding at the right time.

What are your goals for the future?
Obviously the Olympics has plagued my career! So I would like to make those! But after my injuries I made some short term goals for myself with a check point at the 2010 Commonwealth games in India. I would like to one better my silver medal at the 2006 games in Melbourne.

When—if ever—will you retire from racing?
I for sure retire no later then after the 2012 Olympic Games. I would love to stay in the sport as a National Team coach.. But that will be the end of my CYCLING!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home