X of Calgary: Cyclists Rolling On

A questionnaire posed to past Calgary cyclists.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Jamie Sparling


Name: James Andrew Sparling; the First and Only.

UCI Code: CAN19841228

Hometown: Calgary Alberta

First Alberta cycling club: The Olympic Oval/The Bike Shop

Current Residence: V-I-C the-place-to-BE

How did you get into cycling?
When I was about 12 or 13 Mark Macdonald and I would rip around fish creek park on our mountain bikes filming random stuff (I still have those videos). I loved to Mountain bike so much and was getting sick of playing div. 10 hockey in the winter. A good friend and neighbor of mine, Drew Gregory, introduced me to the cycling program at the Olympic Oval. I was hooked.

What was the first race you remember doing?
Prairie Steam road stage in cat. 5. There were about 8 of us in the field and I think I may have come 7th. CSparls (dad) has some great pictures of this race.

Where was the most memorable race you ever did and why?
The most memorable race I have ever done was probably the first stage of the 2007 tour de beauce. It was my first UCI race and a fairly substantial one at 180km. 7kms in my chain broke and I got a really slow and panicked bike change. I eventually made my way back into the group on a neutral Mavic bike. I rode the next 170, or so, kms on a foreign bike and finished inside the top 20. I didn't think much of it and went to our team car where I found some shade and plumped down. I then started to hear my name on the loudspeaker. Apparently I had finished the stage as the top young rider. My podium edict was so bad; I wore manpris (capris for dudes).

Where was the worst race you ever did? What was it like?
The worst race I ever did was the Ardrossan Stage race in 2002. This was a selection race for two Alberta Junior Projects: Abitibi and a Trip to Korea. I had a fever and a terrible cold but manned up and raced. My performance was terrible. This led to me not being selected for either project. It was unbelievably hard for me to watch my best friends go off to do these races while I stuck it out by myself. Ironically, out of the guys that went, I am the only one still racing. Weird.

Who was your funniest teammate and why?
Dave Brooks from Regina Saskatchewan. This guy tells it how it is and is able to bring some good ol' prairie flare to a Vancouver team. (I am really finding it hard to explain why while keeping it G rated)

What was the greatest adversity you had to overcome in your racing career?
Apathy. Sometimes it is really hard to put in tons of your life for something that most people don't care about or you get little recognition for. It can be even harder if you aren't able to live up to your own expectations. I usually try to focus on the positive and really learn from experience. I went through a few years where I wasn't very competitive at any level. I kept my nose to the grindstone and made my training as enjoyable as possible. Eventually I started to become competitive and bike racing became a whole lot more fun and rewarding. Even now, I hope I can take my competitiveness to the next level.

What do you remember most about racing in Alberta and how have you changed as a cyclist?
I remember all the super unique and special personalities. It is such an eclectic group of people. There are people that rage, encourage, complain, compliment etc. etc. It makes the experience that much more entertaining. When you start an Alberta race, you have no idea what is going to happen, who is going to snap or who will impress. I wouldn't have wanted it to be any other way.

Last Alberta cycling club:
BiciSport

Who are you racing for now?
Trek Red Truck presented by Mosaic Homes; out of Vancouver. This team has such an amazing group of people behind it. Seriously.

Any advice for young racers?
Attack. Attack. Attack. You learn nothing from passive racing. Don't be afraid to get dropped. One day it will click... and the attack will stick.

What are your goals for the future?
I would really like to throw down a good race at this years nationals... I would also like to drive a few breaks in the NRC.

What do you love to do off the bike?
Spinnin fresh beats, Mountaineering, Guitar and Fishing. I also love to keep it real and live the dream.

When—if ever—will you retire from racing?
I will always race. I have no long term plan on when I will ease out of the sport. Probably not for a while; I love to ride my bike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home