X of Calgary: Cyclists Rolling On

A questionnaire posed to past Calgary cyclists.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ryan Correy


Name: Ryan Correy

UCI Code:
Waiting for my first license in six years to arrive

Hometown: Calgary, AB

First Alberta cycling club: Synergy (2003)

Current Residence: Bentley, AB

How did you get into cycling?
Like any child, I always had a bike to get me to practice, the corner store, and my friend’s house after school. As for the point that I consider when cycling became a bigger part of my life, it was when my father and I cycled across Canada. I was only 13-years-old at the time – the trip became affectionately known as “Manhood Training.” Many tours followed. On the suggestion of the CCA, I started training with at the National Cycling Centre (Olympic Oval) in 2002, and then started racing on the road and track the following season.

What was the first race you remember doing?
It was in 2003, the first criterium of the season in Calgary. It was also the first race for my teammate, Zach Bell (Olympic track cyclist). He went on to win the race. I came in a couple spots back. What an adrenaline rush – that’s what I remember thinking!

Where was the most memorable race you ever did and why?
This past summer I competed in the Race Across America. It’s a 3,000 mile (4,800 km) ultra marathon road race that crosses the United States. I finished in 11 days, 21 hours, 44 minutes, and in the process, I became the youngest Canadian to ever finish what a poll in Outside magazine called, “the toughest sporting event in the world.”

Where was the worst race you ever did? What was it like?
The Race Across America was by far the most difficult. Loosing 10 pounds in the first three days, and only getting three hours of sleep per day – it wasn’t pretty. That said, no race comes to mind as being the “worst.” I have always enjoyed pushing myself, and will take both the good and the bad as learning experience.

Who was your funniest teammate and why?
CP and me made a great comedy duo. If I told you why, you would loose all respect for me.

What was the greatest adversity you had to overcome in your racing career?
My identity crisis…I have flip-flopped back and forth in the past as to what direction I want to take my cycling career. Do I follow the traditional racing route, or do I take off on solo adventures around the world, and embrace the history that my father and I started? Not committing completely to one route may have slowed my progress early on. That said, I’m happy to have had a well rounded experience.

What do you remember most about racing in Alberta and how have you
changed as a cyclist?
I only raced one season before returning to my adventurous roots – next, cycling 25,000 km from Alaska to Argentina in 2005. What I remember most is the great sense of friendship that I had not experienced in any other sport. And the more I travel, I realize that feeling holds true around the world. As for how I have changed, I have a better grasp of the big picture and the goals that I hope to achieve.

Last Alberta cycling club: Synergy (2003)

Who are you racing for now?
Team Bow Cycle (2009)

Any advice for young racers?
Have a great excuse for why you shave your legs in the winter!

What are your goals for the future?
My current goal is to finish writing a book that I have been working on, make the national team for either road or XC, and hopefully go to compete in the 2012 Olympics.

When—if ever—will you retire from racing?
When it’s not fun anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home